• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Blade improves runner
So my take is that if you are a heel striker, Boost may provide a bit of an economy benefit for you in a very well cushioned shoe. If you are a midfoot or forefoot striker the benefit will likely not be as noticeable. Different shoes likely work better for different gaits.As for myself, I actually didn’t enjoy running in the Energy Boost very much because there was too much heel for my taste, and it has a very pronounced heel flare – the sole extends well out from the margins of your heel on all sides. The upper is also too snug You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. for my feet. Personally, I’d opt for a shoe like the adidas Hagio over the Boost for races of half marathon distance or less – lighter, firmer, and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. stiffer is my preference for speed. But over 26.2 miles I could see some value in a softer sole, and a 4-6mm drop Boost shoe might be something You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. that would pique my interest a bit more as a distance shoe. Boost looks top be permeating the adidas line, so looks like we’ll have more to try out in the coming months!I imagine the added weight with the new midsole material will likely obviate any perceptible gains the Boost provides in efficiency compared to lighter weight shoes, at least for smaller runners and across shorter distances. Still, for people who just need all that cushioning, I guess it’s a decent option.This reminds me of the Adidas Spring Blade… even if all the supposed claims You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. about its “explosive energy” return properties are true and demonstrable and repeatable in non-laboratory settings, the added weight is sure to cut You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. into whatever “efficiency advantages” it confers: IIRC, a size 9 Spring Blade is already about 3 ounces heavier than the equivalently You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. sized Boost. Unless the Spring Blade improves runner O2 consumption economy by a whopping 2%, it’s probably better (or at least much cheaper and less of a fashion disaster) to go with the Gazelle.very intriguing small study and great to hear your general comments as well! I was skeptical about the marketing of the compound before these first came out, but curiosity got the better of me, so I bought a pair as a replacement longer distance shoe and I’ve now completed several runs ranging from short distance to about 12K.

I find I can definitely feel a “boost” most when heel striking obviously, definitely not as much when striking mid-foot. I would also agree with others that this is too heavy for You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. a race shoe (although not too bad). There are a bunch of features that I tend not to like in a shoe as well, such as the higher You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. heel-toe drop, the snug upper and the heel flare. Despite all that, I am finding I quite like the shoe, particularly the bouncy but still firmer nature I find from the Boost material. Thus I’ll be quite intrigued to see what other shoes they use it on!I know they’re marketing the shoe this way, but I’ve just recently acquired a pair and it had nothing to do with potential performance gains (well, not directly anyway). I’m hoping that the shoe lessens impact, taxing the leg muscles/tendons less. This is somewhat related to oxygen consumption, but also just the fundamental laws of gravity and impact. I’m coming from a Kinvara, so it is a fairly radical change…but as a heavier You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. runner I was wearing out Kinvara’s quickly and experiencing leg pain after they were well-broken in. I’m a little concerned about the change in heel drop, but You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. we’ll see what my experience is. This doesn’t seem like a shoe that is geared toward serious performance runners; but more of one for the casual runner.