• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
with them staying in place on my first
On the down side, I found the Stabilicers to be the most difficult of the three to get You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. on my feet, and the sizing seems to be a bit off as I really had to stretch them out to get the heel to fit over the back of my shoe. I still feel like the heel lugs were a bit too far forward. They are also a tad narrow in the forefoot and really had to wiggle them onto my Nike Wildhorse II trail shoes. Don’t try these with an Altra! I have them in a size Medium which is supposed You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. to cover up to a 10.5 shoe size, but they did feel small on my 10.5 shoe. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. Being a borderline size is sometimes a challenge, and I’d suggest that you consider sizing up if you are borderline between two sizes.The Nanospikes feature 10 tungsten carbide lugs that do a pretty good job of digging into ice covered roads and sidewalks. The lugs are a bit shorter than those on the Stabilicers however, which might explain why the latter seemed to grip a bit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. better. I like the fact that the lugs are secured in a firm rubber base, and that they are integrated into wide plates. I expect this should improve durability (see comments on Yaktrax below).
Unlike the Stabilicers, the Nanospikes are quite easy to put on, little wriggling needed. On the negative side, I had issues with them staying in place on my first run. The forefoot kept slipping medially off of my shoe (see photo below) – I’d like to see some additional You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. reinforcement bands in this area, or perhaps addition of a velcro strap would help. I did contact Kahtoola about the issue since I’m again a borderline size, and they sent me a medium to try instead. These stayed put much better, but I still think the Nanospikes would benefit from a more robust securing system around the forefoot.

One other issue I had with the Nanospikes You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. was that one of the metal links connecting the base plate to the front of the forefoot put pressure on my big toe from above. It seemed to go away while running, but the pressure was quite noticeable when putting them on.The YakTrax Run cleats combine carbide steel studs under the forefoot (similar to the studs on the Kahtoola Nanospikes) with traditional YakTrax coils under the heel. The combo provides good traction, and they are fairly easy to put on. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I particularly like the fact that they have a velcro strap to help secure them on the forefoot – they stay in place quite well.

My main problem with the YakTrax Run cleats is that the metal studs are embedded in a plastic base, and after a few runs I could see some of the studs bending out of place within the base, and the plastic base even broke on one of them (see photo below).You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  The stud plates are replaceable, but I’d expect better durability than I experienced for a product like this. My buddy Nate also had durability issues with his pair, and there are some similar complaints on Amazon about the studs shifting/bending, so my experience was not an isolated one. For this reason I’d recommend the Kahtoola or Stabilicers products over these.